Friday, March 17, 2017

My life flows on in endless song

My life flows on in endless song;
Above earth's lamentation
I catch the sweet though far-off hymn
That hails a new creation.

Through all the tumult and the strife
I hear the music ringing;
It finds an echo in my soul—
How can I keep from singing?

What though my joys and comfort die!
The Lord, my Saviour, liveth;
What though the darkness gather round!
Songs in the night He giveth.

No storm can shake my inmost calm,
While to that refuge clinging;
Since Christ is Lord of heaven and earth,    
How can I keep from singing?

I lift my eyes; the cloud grows thin;
I see the blue above it;
And day by day this pathway smooths,
Since first I learned to love it.

The peace of Christ makes fresh my heart,
A fountain ever springing;
All things are mine, since I am His—
How can I keep from singing?
                                           R. Lowry


But it is good for me to draw near to God: I have put my trust in
the Lord GOD, that I may declare all thy works.   
                                                   Psalms 73:28

     I remember attending a meeting after the Civil War had been going
on for about six months.  The army of the North had been defeated at
Bull Run:  in fact we had nothing but defeat, and it looked as though the
Republic was going to pieces.  We were much cast down and discouraged. 
At this meeting it seemed as if every speaker had hung his harp upon the willow,
and it was one of the gloomiest meetings I ever attended.  Finally an old man
with beautiful white hair arose to speak, and his face literally shone.
     "Young men," he said, "you do not talk like sons of the King.  Though it is
dark just here, remember it is light somewhere else."  Then he went on to say
that if it were dark all over the world, it was light up around the throne.
     He told us he had come from the east, where he had been up on a mountain
to spend the night and see the sun rise.  As the party was climbing up the
mountain, and before it had reached the summit, a storm came on. 
     He said to the guide, "I will give this up; take me back." 
     The guide smiled and replied, "I think we shall get above the storm soon."
     On they went; and they soon reached a place where it was as calm as any
summer evening.  Down in the valley a terrible storm raged; they could hear
the thunder roll, and see the lightning's flash; but all was serene on the mountain
top.
     "And so, my young friends," continued the old man, "though all is dark around
you, come a little higher up and the darkness will flee away."
     Often when I have been inclined to get discouraged, I have thought of what he
said.  Now, if you are down in the valley amidst the fog and the darkness, get a
little higher up, get nearer to Christ, and know more of Him.
                                                                      D. L. Moody   


No comments:

Post a Comment