Thursday, March 23, 2017

'Twas by an order from the Lord

           'Twas by an order from the Lord,
           The ancient prophets spoke his word;
           His spirit did their tongues inspire,
           And warm'd their hearts with heavenly fire.

           The works and wonders which they wrought
           Confirm'd the messages they brought;
           The prophet's pen succeeds his breath
           To save the holy words from death.

           Great God, mine eyes with pleasure look
           On the dear volume of thy book;
           There my Redeemer's face I see,
           And read his name who died for me.

           Let the false raptures of the mind
           Be lost and vanish in the wind;
           Here I can fix my hopes secure,
           This is thy word, and must endure.
                                                       Isaac Watts

No comments:

Post a Comment