Sunday, March 12, 2017

‘Tis now in part I know his grace


       ‘Tis now in part I know his grace;
       I catch sweet glimpses of his face,
       But in that better world of his
       I shall behold him as he is.

       ‘Tis now in part I know his love;
       Bright sunbeams shine from skies above;
       But glories more exceeding far
       Shall rise beyond life’s evening star.

       ‘Tis now in part I understand
       The leadings of my Father’s hand;
       But I shall own his ways were right,
       When welcomed to his home of light.

       ‘Tis now in part, but O how sweet
       To rest by faith at his dear feet;
       Though now we see as through a glass,
       The veil will lift, the shadows pass.

       Chorus:
       Then shall I know as I am known,
       And sing his praise before the throne;
       Then shall I know as I am known,
       And sing his praise before the throne.
                                                              E. E. Hewitt


********************

        
        Let me be with Thee where Thou art,
        My Saviour, my eternal Rest;
        Then only will this longing heart
        Be fully and for ever blest.

        Let me be with Thee where Thou art,
        Thy unveiled glory to behold;
        Then only will this wandering heart
        Cease to be treacherous, faithless, cold.

        Let me be with Thee where Thou art,
        Where spotless saints Thy name adore;
        Then only will this sinful heart
        Be evil and denied no more.

        Let me be with Thee where Thou art,
        Where none can die, where none remove;
        There neither death nor life will part
        Me from Thy presence and Thy love.
                                                         C. Elliott


To Mrs. P---.   LETTER III.  August —, 1775.

My Dear Madam,

.....But all beneath the moon (like the moon itself) is subject to incessant change.  
Alterations and separations are graciously appointed of the Lord, to remind us that 
this is not our rest, and to prepare our thoughts for that change which shall fix us 
for ever in an unchangeable state.  O Madam! what shall we poor worms render 
to him who has brought life and immortality to life by the gospel, taken away the 
sting of death, revealed a glorious prospect beyond the grave, and given us eyes 
to see it?  Now the reflection, that we must ere long take a final farewell of what is 
most capable of pleasing us upon earth, is not only tolerable, but pleasant.  For we
know we cannot fully possess our best friend, our chief treasure, till we have 
done with all below;  nay, we cannot till then properly see each other.  We are 
cased up in vehicles of clay, and converse together as if we were in different coaches,
with the blinds close drawn round.  We see the carriage, and the voice tells us that we 
have a friend within; but we shall know each other better, when death shall open the 
coach doors, and hand out the company successively, and lead them into the glorious 
apartments which the Lord has appointed to be the common residence of them that love 
him.  What an assembly will there be!  What a constellation of glory, when each 
individual shall shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father!  No sins, sorrows, 
temptations; no vails, clouds, or prejudices, shall interrupt us then.  All names of idle 
distinction (the fruits of present remaining darkness, the channels of bigotry, and the 
stumbling-block of the world) will be at an end.
                                        I am, etc. 
                                        John Newton

No comments:

Post a Comment